Monday, October 4, 2021

How to pixelate text in the Gimp

There are times when I want to post a screenshot, but need to obscure personal information, as in the screenshot above from my previous post. Pixelating the text is a good solution because it can make the text unreadable whilst still leaving an impression of the text. I did this some time before for a previous post, and needed to do it again today for another post, but had forgotten how to do it. This time I am going to write a quick tutorial to remind me how to do it next time, and to help anybody who might want to do the same thing.

First, open the image in the Gimp:

Then select the text you want to pixelate with the Rectangle Select Tool:

Next, cut the selection:

And paste as a new layer:

Go to Filters > Blur > Pixelise and reduce the size of your pixel blocks until the text is unreadable but still gives the impression of text. Be careful that it is not possible to still read the text if you squint - in this image I need to go one step further:

When you are happy that the text is unreadable, go to Image  > Flatten image:

And here is the final result:








No comments:

Post a Comment