Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Evolution Calendar - Syncing and adding reminders

Adding events to the Evolution calendar is intuitive, so I won't go into details: click on a day, add a time and a description and the basic event entry is done.

After that I had a couple of issues that took me some time to work out.

The first was that as Gnome is integrated with my Google account, I expected the event to appear in my Android phone's calendar, but it didn't. I couldn't work out how to sync the evolution calendar with my Google account.

The answer is to select the Google calendar as the default calendar, because the local calendar (On This Computer) is set as the default.

Select your Google calendar account, right click and select Properties, then tick Mark as default calendar.

The next issue was setting reminders. As I usually forget upcoming events, I like to get plenty of reminders from my computer and phone, so I clicked on the Reminders tab and selected 15 minutes before from the drop down menu.

Gnome applications are usually intuitive to use, but I have to say this window was not. There are to my mind several problems that actually make it counter intuitive.

First of all is the infinitive in Pop up and alert: The infinitive in computer GUIs usually presents an opportunity to give a command: Play, Pause, Stop, for example. Yes, I want to Pop up and alert, what do I do about it? I expected an OK or Confirm option here. I think Alert 15 minutes before the start, or Alert set for 15 minutes before the start would be clearer. Maybe it's just me.

The second problem I had was that I like to set more than one reminder, and the Add button was greyed out. It wasn't just me here as someone else had the same problem. I wrote "was" because Evolution was updated overnight and the Add button is no longer greyed out, as you will see in the screenshot above: it sets the Custom option, which allows more than one reminder. The solution if you have a version of Evolution with the greyed out button is to choose Custom from the drop down list.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment