Thursday, June 2, 2022

Borked my swap file

I installed Debian Testing on this computer to play with, but allowed the installation to use the swap partition. When I booted into the main installation (Debian Bullseye Gnome), I found it did not have swap memory available, which is not good because with only 4GB of RAM, it needs swap memory if I have a browser and other applications open. (Unfortunately it has one card slot, so upgrading the memory would involve purchasing an expensive 8GB card, unlike my laptop which had a free slot so I could drop in am extra 4GB card for not too much money).

The solution was to get the main installation to share the swap partition by updating the UUID.

# blkid /dev/sda3

Got me the UUID given to the swap partition on this computer by the new install.

I then replaced the old, now non-working UUID with the working UUID from the command above.

# nano /etc/fstab

askubuntu

Apparently it's OK for the two installations to share the swap partition, as long as it is not used for hibernation, which it is not.

askubuntu again.

No comments:

Post a Comment