Thursday, March 4, 2021

People also search for...

I noticed an annoying feature of the Google search page recently. If you do a search, click a link, look at the page and click back, just as you are about to click on the next link, a Google pop-up entitled "People also search for" displaces the link you were about to click so you click on a link you don't want, and have to go back again, whereupon the same thing happens again. Ad infinitum.

I think this is called recursion in computing.

The Gif above (I used ezgif.com) when searched Google for information about the pop-up.

The link I was about to click would have taken me to the answer to this stupidity: the excellent uBlock Origin, which I had been using until a few weeks ago, probably why I hadn't observed it before. For the last few weeks I've been using Bluhell Firewall, another excellent ad-blocker. I used this previously until it stopped working, but it has recently been updated to work with Firefox WebExtensions. It blocks most of the nonsense on the net, but obviously not this bit. It is a bit lighter than uBlock.

Another possible solution, if this feature of Google search annoys you as much as it does me is Startpage, a search page that gets its results from Google but without the tracking. By default the first three links it shows are search suggestions, but you can turn that off in settings (or leave it on to give them some ad revenue - unfortunately I found it meant I didn't see the results I wanted without scrolling down the page, which is a bit self-defeating, sorry Startpage). You can also change the default setting for search results to open in a new tab (window in settings).

Doh! More recursion.












No comments:

Post a Comment