Friday, January 1, 2021

Firefox starts minimised and doesn't respond

If you have the same problem as me, try this:

1 - If you have used different instances of Firefox from the same account, in my case Firefox ESR and Firefox latest release, enter the following in the Firefox title bar and delete unused profiles. (DO NOT delete profiles that are in use, you will lose history, logins, cookies etc for that instance of Firefox). 

about:profiles.

The image below shows the page after deleting the unused profile.

 
 
2 - Close Firefox and delete xulstore.json, which you will find in a location similar to this (in Linux) 

/.mozilla/firefox/[random characters].default-[version]

The file stores Firefox's information about window positioning. Mozilla Support. It can become corrupted - Firefox will recreate it when it is started again.

As I say: this worked for me. I suspect the issue was caused because I ran a release version of Firefox from my /home directory (without possibly setting up profiles correctly, it has to be said) and this somehow corrupted Firefox's window positioning on opening.

The steps above corrected the issue on two separate Linux computers, so if you have the same issue, give it a go. Please don't delete profiles that are in use.

Deleting the xulstore.json file in a profile folder may actually be enough to fix the problem - I didn't test this, which might be a good first step to try. However, I wasn't using Firefox from my home directory any more, so deleting the profile wasn't an issue.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment